10.05.2008

General Conference

I remember being a child and dreading to have to sit through dull and uninteresting talks watching LDS General Conference twice a year. Now that I’m older my perspective has changed. Listening to conference re-boots me and reminds me why I love the church so much. It brings me back to the basics of the principles we should live by, but often times forget as we get wrapped up in every day life. It helps me tolerate those people within my religion who I don't relate to or agree with. Here are some of the messages I appreciated and make me proud to be a Mormon.
• Unity – We should feel unified as one people with not only church members, but the world. There is more that connects us to our fellow man than divides us.
• Contention – Take the higher road, don’t engage in contentious religious banter, but rather share unconditional love with everyone regardless of how we are attacked.
• Serve – Serve and love our “neighbors” regardless of race religion or culture, be anxious to bless the whole human race. Provide for others regardless of our financial state. The church Welfare program is “heavens help in practical ways”.
• Young Women – Empower yourselves and arise to call for the return to virtue. Don’t give into the lures of media to dress and conduct your self in a provocative manner. Don’t underestimate the power of your righteous choices.
• Appreciate today – A life of planning for tomorrow leaves a lot of empty yesterdays. Don’t focus on what we don’t have or what we want, but live a life of gratitude for what we have today. Fill our time with those things that matter most.